Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Reflection on Surrender

Today got me thinking...

As Pastor was talking about totally surrendering to God, I reflected on how my life has evolved to what it is today.

I always tell people I have the best job on planet earth, and it's true. While many people drag their feet to work every morning I wake up with a bounce in my step and not really feeling like I'm headed to work. I'm getting paid to do something I love to do and wouldn't mind doing for free -- what more can a wide-eyed, idealistic girl ask for?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of wide-eyed girls, there is a story of a little girl named Jenny who accompanied her mum to the grocery store one day and as her eyes scanned the room, they fell on a strand of pearls that gleamed within the plastic casing that held it to the stand. As her small 6-year old hands cradled the pearls, her mind's eye could see the pearls glistening on her neck--a perfect match for her pink Sunday dress that she loved to wear to church. The only problem was that the pearls cost $10.

When Jenny got home she emptied her piggy bank and found $$3.50 inside. Determined to buy the pearls, she struck a deal with her mum who gave her $2.50 for helping around the house for a week. As Chinese New Year rounded the corner, Jenny finally saved up enough money to buy her pearls. The beautiful pink strand became Jenny's most prized possession. She wore them everywhere and even kept them under lock and key in her dresser.

One night, Jenny's dad came to tuck her in as usual but this night he sat down at the edge of her bed, looked in her eyes and asked her "Jenny, do you love me?" Without hesitation, Jenny pecked him on the cheek and quickly responded "Yes! Of course!" Jenny's dad looked at her with much love and asked "Will you give me your pearls?" A sadness overcame Jenny and her little voice pleaded "I can give you anything... but please don't ask me to give you my pearls" Jenny's dad gently said "It's okay Jenny, I wanted your pearls" and he pulled the covers up to her chin and gave her a goodnight kiss.

Over the next few weeks when Jenny's dad came into her room to tuck her in, he would ask her the same question and Jenny would sadly decline and offer her doll or her pony or her stuffed dolphin. Her dad would always give her a sweet smile, gently say "It's okay Jenny, I wanted your pearls" and give her a goodnight kiss.

One night as Jenny's dad was in the study working, he heard a pair small feet shuffling into the room. Behind him stood Jenny, tears streaming down her face. Before he could ask what was wrong, Jenny opened her trembling hands to reveal her precious pink pearls still wrapped in soft tissue. "Daddy, I love you" Jenny whispered. "I want to give you my pearls"

Jenny's dad carefully took the pearls from Jenny's hands, opened his desk, placed the pearls inside and took out a handcrafted wooden box. He opened the box and lifted up a strand of the most beautiful pearls Jenny had ever seen. Unlike her plastic pink pearls these pearls were heavier and had a glow came from each pearl's core. As Jenny's dad placed the pearls on Jenny's neck, he said "Jenny, I love you. I've been waiting for you to give me your pearls so I could give you these real pearls in exchange."
------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't regretted giving up my pearls and I never will... Need I say more...

Maybe I will blog about my plastic pearls one day...

But for now, time to sign off.


No comments: