Friday, September 7, 2012

Restarting - Thankful

I was just rereading all my past blogs and I realize I have changed in the way I blog and post things. Nowadays, the things I am inclined to post are less personal and in a sense more professional. So, this is my attempt at restarting and going back to sharing not just my perspectives but my passions and my feelings... but I must say, that it's not as easy as I thought. So, here it goes...


Two Mondays ago, I was on Facebook and as I was looking over different people's profiles, I just kept reading this one of my former Sunday school teacher... I was a bit -- sad... because as I read his posts, it was quite evident that he did not believe in God much anymore, at least not Jesus. What saddened me were posts by other people, who claimed to be Christians, but who did nothing but aggressively try to get him to explain himself.

At first I was a bit hesitant to message him, because I didn't want him to get a negative impression of Christians as people who were berating him and bombarding him with questions. But I kept feeling this tugging to drop him a message -- so I did. Just a very casual one, asking him what had happened and clearly saying that if he wasn't comfortable that it was okay.

I was quite surprised to receive a reply and when I replied him back, he was online - so we ended up talking for 3 hours. He had a lot of doubts and being raised in our traditional church environment where asking questions was not encouraged did not help. On top of that all the Christians who talked behind his back probably didn't help either. Well, I was glad that it ended with him saying that I was one of the few people who asked him in the manner that I did.

I was really quite burdened for this family - because, I know that this guy was really still searching for some answers. He wanted to believe that there was a God who loved and cared, but there were no easy answers to his questions (sharing my answers would take up a lot more space on this blog and that's not what this is for).

I guess, my reason for posting this is that Christianity really is about relationship - relationship with God and with other human beings. The truth is that if we Christians act like it's all about rules and laws, then we will ultimately lose the battle. I do believe in truth, but I don't believe in shoving it down people's throat.

I think it was Gandhi who said "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians."

My thought on this is that, if we would love people and be a genuine friend to them instead of how I have seen many debate and argue, then maybe they would understand the God of the Bible more.

Lastly, this leaves me very thankful for Heart of God Church and Pastors. They have always stood on the side of truth, but they have always spoken the truth in love. I love that there is a balance in the house between the Word of God and love. I am thankful for a place that does not go extreme on legalistic doctrines neither does it go the other extreme which is flaky and emotional. There is a practical balance to make sure that we are not too heavenly minded that we are of no earthly use or too worldly minded that we are of no heavenly use.

Thankful.


On a side note, I think the way I think and write really has changed. I find myself a lot more serious and deliberate in thought than I was 3-4 years ago. Is that a bad thing? I hope not... I don't think so... haha...

No comments: