Monday, October 29, 2012

Is Apple Turning Into Windows?

The iPad mini launch absolutely disappointed me. I must say, when I saw what Apple was doing with the new iPad and the iPhone 5, I thought "Uh-oh, Apple's in trouble" But when I saw the iPad mini launch... I got that sinking feeling that Apple without Jobs is no longer Apple.

For the first time, instead of talking about the experience of using Apple and the groundbreaking, game-changing breakthroughs - it seemed like all Apple can talk about now are technical specs. Doesn't that sound like something Windows would do?

Standard Marketing case studies always attribute Apple's success to its ingenious deviation from the "my device can store more songs than your device." Apple was always about the user experience and how the product made you feel.

I remember one marketing case study asking "What happened if Microsoft designed the iPod?" This is what it would look like.


I am quite sad to say, what Steve Jobs stood for seems to be slowly eroding in Apple. Instead of absolutely revolutionary stuff - Apple seems to have resorted to playing catch-up with the other manufacturers. I always remember the brilliance of the iPad. People were making netbooks and thinner computers, tablet notebooks and whatnot and Apple came out with - the iPad. It created its own segment. It confused market researchers. They didn't know what to classify it as. Now, sadly, that is no longer the case.

On top of that, Steve Jobs used to have this amazing way of launching revolutionary products at an "I-must-have-it" price point. Nowadays, the guys at Apple are using the same quips but they don't carry the same values. Sad.

My ultimate measuring stick? I got bored halfway through the video. I think I've said enough.

In any case, if you haven't watched the iPad Mini video, here you go.
You'll see what I mean.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to teach microsoft applications. I got fed up in 2005. I threw in the towel. I got a MAC because the computer is supposed to be intuitive, it should make my life easier, and it should reduce my work load. I took a chance hoping that Steve Jobs team of experts was everything they say they were. I was so thrilled at the simplicity and intuitiveness...that I bought iMacs, iPods, and macbooks for my family of 20+ and the rest of the story is history. I don't get midnight IT issue phone calls anymore. Now it is 2012 and I have to complain..... it has turned into a windows world. I want email... I don't care about all the system preferences and 5 million options. Keep it simple !! Mr. Cook get a reign on your peeps.