Friday, July 27, 2012

Unpacking My Bags


I was recently reminded of a piece / note I wrote a few years back just before I left P&G. I had entitled that reflection "Unpacking My Bags" -- a symbol, really, of an intention to stay in a place for more than a moment. I started the piece by saying:

If you know me, you know I’m an all or nothing person. I live life and do things to the best of my ability or not at all. And if I’m somewhere, I behave as if I’ll stay there forever. P&G for me was no different.


I travel quite often. And, truth is, I don't really unpack my bags when I hit a hotel room. To me it's too troublesome and time consuming. But in life and in the things I do, I am-thankfully-quite the opposite.

Just yesterday someone asked me whether I saw myself still working in church in a few years or whether I would go back to the corporate world to find something more challenging.

I still smile to myself when I hear questions like this. Given the current climate in Singapore, I think the church probably has more challenge than the corporate world haha...

But seriously, the truth is, I have never been more challenged than where I am right now. I am not just challenged in the area of task or achievement, which I am; but I am challenged to be a better person not just when people are looking and to change my character and not just external behaviors.

Someone once said:
"The crime of youth is passion.  The crime of middle age is pride.   The crime of old age is prejudice."
While I am slowly growing out of youth into middle age, I guess you can say that I am still a pretty passionate person.

5 years after I unpacked my bags, I am glad to say that some things have not changed. I am glad that there is a part of me that is as child-like and faith-filled as when I started on this journey. I am glad that I am still as in love with the things of God and that the troubles of this life have not taken away the idealism of my teenage years. I am glad that I am still here.

That's not to say I have not changed at all - that would be... an abnormality--almost like the stunted growth of a child. (I have nothing against short or little people!)

But I am quite happy that I have shed some of my immature thoughts and I no longer just live by feeling, but amidst that, I have also found a balance that keeps the fiery passion that makes me, me.

No regrets. No returns.
The future is still amazing.

No comments: